Building Inspector / Codes


Bobby Sloan - Director

233 East Gay Street
Courthouse Annex
Lebanon, TN  37087

Phone:  615-444-3025
Fax:  615-443-6194
Contact Bobby

Charles Davis
Building Official - Inspector II
Contact Charles

The Wilson County Codes Department, is here to help you with the permitting process for the construction of your new home or with any building improvements you make on your property.  If you have questions concerning the process, feel free to contact us by phone, fax or email.  For best results, visit us in our office so we may get a more precise look at your property from plats, tax maps or deeds.  This will help to verify the buildable status of your property and avoid any surprises or delays in your permitting process.


About Us

The Wilson County Codes Department is in place to enforce the regulations set forth in the Wilson County Zoning Ordinance.

The office is open Monday thru Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm and is located in the Courthouse Annex, 233 E. Gay Street,  Lebanon, TN.

Be aware that no permit applications are accepted after 3:30PM each day.

******The only method of payments accepted is either Check or Money Order.******

Building permits are required for the construction of any structure, including accessory structures.  Please call us at 615-444-3025 for items needed for application for a building permit.

A checklist for a building permit can be located on the Home tab above.

Applications are filed in this office to appeal to the Wilson County Board of Zoning Appeals (BOZA) regarding variances needed or for requesting desired uses on appeal for property located outside the city limits of Lebanon, Mt. Juliet, and Watertown.  Office staff fills out the application form in the office and obtains applicant’s signature and application fee of $50.00.  If applicant is not the property owner, a notarized affidavit obtained from this office must be signed by the property owner giving applicant permission to make request.   Please call the office for more detailed information regarding the submittal of paperwork to support request.  Refer to the Wilson County Board of Zoning Appeals Calendar for submittal deadline and meeting dates, as well as the Board of Zoning Appeals member list.  Minutes of the BOZA meetings are taken by staff and filed in this office.

Fees for the Adequate Facilities Tax (AFT) for Wilson County, Lebanon, Mt. Juliet, and Watertown are collected in this office.  Please contact this office for the AFT fee schedules for residential, commercial, industrial, and institutional.

Receives and handles code violation complaints.  Those desiring to voice a complaint may do so by calling the office at (615) 444-3025 or by letter.  An accurate address for the property in question must be submitted with the complaint.

Building Codes

Building Codes:


Frequently Asked Questions

1.) Where do I pick up a building permit?

Applications for a building permit are made at the Building Inspector’s office located in the Courthouse Annex, 233 E. Gay Street, Lebanon, TN.  Building permits are issued on site.  The location for the new construction must be staked off.  The Building Inspector will check setbacks from property lines and issue a building permit if setbacks are in compliance with the Wilson County Zoning Ordinance.

2.) What is required to pull a building permit?

A checklist for items needed to apply for a building permit can be picked up in our office or faxed to you.  To avoid delays, all items must be on hand and presented for application to be made.

3.) Do I have to pay for a building permit up front?

Yes, fees for a building permit and/or an adequate facilities tax are collected in full at time of application.  Fees vary according to what is being constructed.  Residential permits are based on $0.70 per square foot (includes living area, attached garage, finished or unfinished bonus rooms, sunrooms, and finished or unfinished basements).  Accessory structures (patios, screened porches, swimming pools, carports, detached garages, barns, or storage buildings) are charged $50.00 for structures of 1,000 square feet or less or $75.00 for structures of 1,001 square feet or more.  Please contact the office for commercial, industrial, institutional and religious building permit fee schedule and adequate facilities tax fee schedule.

4.) How long are building permits good for?

A building permit shall become void twelve (12) months from the date of issuance by the Building Inspector or the date an appeal is granted by the Board of Zoning Appeals, unless substantial progress has been made within those twelve (12) months on the project.

5.) What if I have a complaint about my neighbor’s property?

Contact the office and staff will document the complaint.  An accurate address/location must be given for the inspector to locate and view the right location.  If property is found to be non-compliant with the Wilson County Zoning Ordinance, this office will notify the property owner of the violation and give them a deadline to come into compliance.  If correspondence fails to get results, the violation is turned over to the Wilson County Attorney. 

Follow us on Google PlusFollow us on LinkedIn

Copyright © 2017 Wilson County Government. All Rights Reserved. Website designed by Bear Web Design