Wilson County Development Services
Codes & Zoning Department

233 East Gay Street
Courthouse Annex
Lebanon, TN  37087
Phone:  (615) 444-3025
Fax:  (615) 443-6194

Karen Murphy - Office Manager 
Chris Richardson - Chief Building Official  Email Chris
Daniel Broadrick - Building & Zoning Inspector  Email Daniel
Tom Brashear - Director of Development Services  (615) 449-2836

*Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00am until 4:00pm excluding observed state and federal holidays. Permit applications will not be processed after 3:30pm each day, so if you are in need of a permit please be sure to visit office before the daily processing deadline. At this time check, cashier check, and money order are the only forms of payment accepted. 

The Wilson County Development Services Codes & Zoning Department is in place to enforce the regulations set forth in the Wilson County Zoning Ordinance. Since a building permit is required for the construction of any and all structures placed on a piece of property, we are here to help with all of your permitting needs. You are welcome to call the office with any questions you may have, or you can come in to see us where we have access to maps, plats, and other useful documents and information to help you explore your project options and ensure that you are abiding by county zoning requirements and regulations.

Building Permits
The property owner of record or a state licensed contractor are the only individuals that can apply for building permits in Wilson County. Please note that if you are a contractor tasked with applying for a building permit for a project there are documents that must be signed by the poperty owner of record and notarized before you can make application. Since we know your time is valuable, the necessary permitting documents have been provided below for your convenience and to help expedite your application process.

Adequate Facilities Tax
Fees for the Adequate Facilities Tax (AFT) for Wilson County, the city of Lebanon, the city of Mt. Juliet, and the city of Watertown are collected in this office. Please contact us for the most up to date Adequate Facilities Tax fee schedules for residential, commercial, industrial, and institutional properties.

Code Violations
This office receives and handles code violation complaints. Those desiring to submit a complaint may do so by coming into the office and filling out a complaint form in its entirety, or you can fill out the Online Complaint Form. Please be advised that complaints will not be taken anonymously or over the phone.

Grass Complaints
At this time, the Wilson County Zoning Ordinance only contains provisions for grass height on subdivisions of property that are less than 2 acres in size. As such, any grass height complaints that pertain to properties that exceed 2 acres in size will not be taken or investigated by this office.

SECTION 3.75 Grass and Weeds in a Major Subdivision (resolution 10-1-8)
On any tract of land in Wilson County on which a major subdivision of land has been approved by the planning commission and subsequently recorded; where the average created lot size of lots within the subdivision is less than two (2) acres (87,120 square feet); the following provisions shall be adhered to: (resolution 13-2-11)
1: Grass and weeds may not be permitted to grow above 24 inches high, on individually created lots with less than two (2) acres of land encompassed within said lot.(resolution 13-2-11)
Any lot which violates the above standard may be deemed in violation of the zoning ordinance and the owner of lot may be cited for zoning violation. Upon notice of violation, the lot owner may be subject to the penalties section of the Wilson County Zoning Ordinance under section 6.20.05 of the Wilson County Zoning Ordinance.

Useful Links
Wilson County Planning
Wilson County Register of Deeds
Tennessee Property Assessor

Board of Zoning Appeals
ARTICLE VI. Section A. Board of Appeals of the Wilson County Zoning Ordinance states that an appeal to the Board of Appeals may be taken by any person, firm or corporation aggrieved or by any governmental officer, department, or bureau affected by any decision of the Administrator based in whole or in part upon the provisions of this Resolution. Such appeal shall be taken by filing with the Board of Appeals a notice of appeal, specifying the grounds thereof. In all cases where an appeal is made by a property owner or other interested party, a fee of $200.00 shall be paid by the appellant. The Administrator shall transmit to the Board of Appeals all papers constituting the record upon which the appeal action was taken. The Board of Appeals shall fix a reasonable time for the hearing of the appeal, and give public notice thereof, as well as due notice to parties in interest. Not more than 10 days prior to date of hearing. The Board of Zoning Appeals shall decide the same within a reasonable time which shall not be more than 60 days from the date of the hearing. At the hearing, any person or party may appear and be heard in person or by agent or by attorney. 

As of July 1, 2019, an application fee of $200.00 and eight (8) copies of a plot plan will be required at the time of application. If you wish to apply for a Use Upon Appeal, eight (8) copies of a detailed business plan is needed in addition to the application fee. If the individual making application is not the property owner, a notarized affidavit (linked below) must be signed by the property owner of record giving the applicant permission to go before the board on their behalf. Minutes for the Board of Zoning Appeals meetings are taken by staff and are kept on file in this office. If you have any questions, please call the office to request more detailed information regarding the submittal of paperwork to support your Board of Zoning Appeals request.  

Building Codes

This area is under construction. We are working to provide you with the most up to date information. If you have any questions during this time, please call the office for information.

We do not perform same day inspections.

Re-Inspect Fees
1st - $75
2nd - $150
3rd - $300 - On 3rd re-inspect, a Stop Work order will be placed on site until corrections have been made and fees have been paid.
Fees must be paid in office prior to requesting a re-inspection

1) Setback Inspection (if necessary) – If the permitted lot under construction is less than 5 acres, and a stamped surveyed plot plan was not provided at the time of application, a setback inspection will be required before footings can be dug and inspected. Before this inspection, the area of construction must be marked in some way, and the property lines must be strung to be easily identified by the inspector. If the setback measurements from property lines that were reported at the time of permit application have more than a 5’ variance, the permit will NOT be posted on site until the measurements either match the information provided at application or the office is notified of the accurate measurements. A fee of $75.00 will be imposed for a failed setback inspection.

2) Footing Inspection – There must be 2 runs minimum of #4 rebar, with a minimum of 3” clearance from bottom and in corner. Ditches should be free of debris, including clods, rocks, roots, and vegetation.

3) Foundation Inspection (prior to placing any framing members on foundation) – CMU walls should be at their final elevation with all piers in place. CMU piers/foundation walls cannot exceed 10’ when supporting drop girders and primary structure, unless engineered. The top 4” of piers must be cap block or filled with mortar/cement. Anchor bolts/ties must be installed, and they must begin no less than 3.5” and no more than 12” from corner, and they must be spaced 6’ OC thereafter. Porches need to be marked S (swung) or F (filled) as well.

4) Framing/Plumbing/Mechanical/Rough-In Electric Inspection – Our office must have a copy of the passed rough-in State Electrical inspection on file prior to this inspection. Plumbing must be tested with a minimum of 50 psi, and DWV with a minimum of 5 psi. We recommend performing head tests. These can be done by placing standpipes and charging the system with water. 10’ standpipes are required on slabs, and 3’ standpipes are on all homes at the highest fixture. All mechanical components that would be covered by interior finishes, as well as attic ducting, must be installed before this inspection. Fire blocking, proper support paths, hangers, and various framing components will be observed at this time.

5) Insulation Inspection – Proper caulking should be applied by this time. Interior walls should be lined with R-13 insulation, sloped ceilings should be lined with R-30, and any batted flat ceilings should be lined with R-38 at this time.

6) Final Inspection (Certificate of Compliance and/or Occupancy) – Underfloor and attic insulation will be verified, and all safety measures should be in place at this time. Smoke detectors should be interconnected and functioning, handrails should be installed, guards should be in place, window limiters should be in place (if required), and protective bollards should be present. By the time this inspection takes place, any and all corrections that were required throughout the inspection process should be completed. If not, the Certificate of Compliance and/or Occupancy will NOT be issued

If you have questions, please feel free to call our office at (615) 444-3025, or you can contact one of the inspectors at the numbers listed below.

Chris Richardson - Deputy Building Official:  (615) 604-5053

Brian Farris - Building & Zoning Inspector:  (615) 210-7850

Daniel Broadrick - Building & Zoning Inspector:  (615) 504-2098

The State of Tennessee requires that each person, enterprise, agency or entity that purchases or acquires a swimming pool to be installed after January 1, 2011, shall install and maintain a pool alarm before using or making available for use such swimming pool. As such, an affidavit is provided below to be signed by the property owner of record (not a contractor or representative) and notarized before applying for a permit.

The Wilson County Codes & Zoning Department does not permit or conduct electrical, septic, step, or storm water inspections. Each of those affiliate offices handle their own respective fees, permitting, and inspection processes.

State of Tennessee Electrical Office (Wilson County)
410 Park Drive
Lebanon, TN 37087
(615) 444-0825
To apply for electrical permits and/or request electrical inspections, please visit our website.

State of Tennessee Septic Office (Wilson County)
233 East Gay Street
Courthouse Annex
Lebanon, TN 37087
(615) 443-2784
Access Website

Water & Wastewater Authority of Wilson County (Step Systems)
680 Maddox-Simpson Pkwy
Lebanon, TN 37090
(615) 449-2951
Access Website

Wilson County Stormwater Division
233 East Gay Street
Courthouse Annex
Lebanon, TN 37087
(615) 443-2120
Access Website

State of Tennessee Department of Environment & Conservation - Notification of Demolition and/or Asbestos Renovation
At this time Wilson County does not require demolition permits to tear down or remove structures on a piece of property. However, the State of Tennessee does require notification prior to such action. Below you will find links to important information regarding air pollution, asbestos, and the notification process of demolition/removal required by the State of Tennessee.

Chapter 1200-03-11-.02 of the Tennessee Air Pollution Control Regulations require building owners and/or operators to thoroughly inspect buildings for asbestos-containing material (ACM) prior to demolition or renovation. The person inspecting the facility for ACM must be accredited by the State of Tennessee. State regulations also require owners and/or operators to file a notification with the state 10 working days prior to demolition of a building (even if no asbestos is present), or any renovation involving the removal of regulated ACM. If no notification is received by the state violations may be issued. 
*For questions regarding the demolition process, please call the State of Tennessee Department of Environment & Conservation at (615) 532-6828.

 Frequently Asked Questions

1.) Where do I pick up a building permit?
Applications for a building permit are made at the Building Inspector’s office located in the Courthouse Annex, 233 E. Gay Street, Lebanon, TN. Building permits are issued on site.  

2.) Can anyone apply for a permit?
Permits must be applied for by a licensed contractor or the property owner themselves.

3.) What is required to pull a building permit?
A checklist for items needed to apply for a building permit. To avoid delays, all items must be on hand and presented for application to be made.

4.) Do I have to pay for a building permit up front?
Yes, fees for a building permit and/or an adequate facilities tax are collected in full at time of application.  Residential permits are based on $0.70 per square foot (includes living area, attached garage, finished or unfinished bonus rooms, sunrooms, and finished or unfinished basements) along with a $5,000 Adequate Facilities Tax for new construction. Adequate Facilities Tax must be paid with a seperate check. Effective July 1, 2019, Building Permit Fees will be based on the following:
• All above ground pools, utility permits, signs, porches, decks, patios, and accessory structures that are moved onto the property (prebuilt/prefab) the fee will be $100.00.
• All accessory structures that will be built on-site will be permitted at a fee of $0.10 per square foot.

5.) How long are building permits good?
Substantial progress shall be determined by the request for and approval of subsequent required inspections from and by the Building Inspector respectively. In no case shall an active building permit for a residential dwelling last longer than 24 months without having received a certificate of occupancy or other final approval as outlined with the Wilson County Zoning Ordinance. If a permit recipient for a residential dwelling perceives that their construction project may last longer than 24 months, then special relief or variance from this provision will be required and the permit recipient will need to seek such relief from the Wilson County Board of Zoning Appeals.

6.) What if I have a complaint about my neighbor’s property?
Those desiring to submit a complaint may do so by coming by the office and filling out a complaint form in its entirety OR you can fill out the Online Complaint Form - NOTE - Complaints are not taken over the phone. If property is found to be non-compliant with the Wilson County Zoning Ordinance, this office will notify the property owner of the violation and give them a deadline to come into compliance. If correspondence fails to get results, the violation is turned over to the Wilson County Attorney.